
My Inner City Beach
Dogs yelp in small backyards.
Melbourne sweats and fumes.
Traffic chokes the hot and heavy highways
as I seek sanctuary on Liardet's beach,
this modest strip of dunes
where noise and footprints fade,
where a gentle tide rolls in,
unfurling waves to redeem the shore
in orderly return.
Now twilight gilds clouds pink and grey and orange
as the ball of sun drops down, while in the West
the Bridge hoists cars in bright boomerang above the river,
tattooed lights winking, blinking golden
in a lapis lazuli sky.
In Bay Street, the town hall clock chimes
ring tones clear across the port,
where the Devil Cat purrs in,
delivering safe passage
across the Strait from old Tasmania.
But a league away in Newport
a tall chimney flares and flames,
a blood-shot eye sending
Morse code out towards the Channel.
On Webb Dock, Lego-like and loitering,
cargoes lie in transit and cautious guards patrol,
check shadowed wharves with sniffer dogs
as giant cranes lock down,
caged migratory birds, forever grounded,
jealous of the ratbag gulls, who swoop and flock
and mock in noisy freedom.
Night descends. Traffic slows.
The coast breathes soft while
kids and dogs splash safely in the shallows.
And I think of childhood days -
cousins smiling from long lost summers,
sandcastles and sandwiches at old Stubbs Baths,
the innocence of aunts.
Memories flood in.
Simple joys revive
on my inner city beach.
© bba, 07/06/2011
I love the vibrant imagery here, Barbara. You really have a way of making places come alive, through your words. Enjoyed this. :) x
ReplyDeleteSusan, thankyou for reading this one..I'm glad you enjoyed it and that it can give you some idea of the vibrant area where I live...in Port Melbourne.
ReplyDeleteXX
I love this--I didn't bother with the religious site since I figured your poetry would provide solace and inspiration. I was on the money.
ReplyDeleteI love the juxtaposition of city/sea and the way you give them both their place in your life. But the line about the harbor reminded me of the first poem of yours I read--about the tourists going out to the penal colonies. The poignancy of that memory butts up against the sweetness of "the innocence of aunts". Lovely.
Sigh--you do not disappoint!
This is a beautiful poem Barbara and congratulations on setting up your blog. The picture is a perfect accompaniment to this lovely poem.
ReplyDeleteTwana, thankyou for reading and appreciating the poem...for its city/sea connexions, and the photo too...There are so many wonderful images of this area to use on the blog as time goes by...
ReplyDeleteglad I am not disappointing...I aim to please! (as they say)
Rachael, this poem is the winning poem for the Bayside poetry prize, 2011,and a great way to start the blog...
ReplyDeleteAnd the picture fitted...although I wil have to start thinking about the writing and the images very carefully from now on..just lucky with this one...having it already in my iPhoto file.
Thankyou for coming in to see the first steps, the baby steps here.
Barbara, can i come and live in your country. The tourist board should employ you, when i say tourist board i mean the Irish one, we could be doing with a major influx of visitors. Great poem...regds Brian
ReplyDeleteBrian, I am in a really lovely place here - by the bay, close to the CBD, a lovely lake, lots of parks...it's a special part of Melbourne, but one where i was born, and once a very rundown area, r industrial and poor. Now it is blooming, so I have the best of both worlds past and present - fond memories of other times, and the advantages of the upgrade of the area.. Lots to love here...My home..
ReplyDeleteYes, you would like it I'm sure...