Wednesday, 8 June 2011

Walking round the lake, I remember ...


Bad mother, they said,

blame heaped by all,

on her alone

for every little thing

amiss

in the cruel, hard years.

A child bride -

untried, unknowing,

aching for some freedom.


So easy to attack,

to scapegoat, pillory, control.

Loud voices from the patriarchy,

with her the butt of brutal jokes.

Keep em barefoot and pregnant -

a mantra for young hausfraus,

mere cooks and bottle washers

in times of ignorance,

of callous disempowerment.


But with spirit rising, she broke loose.

She ran, escaped, was free, but forgot

judgements visited on fatal Eve.

And that curse took hold -

her children nursing dislocation,

remembering lost comforts,

mourning favours

from a sporting father’s pride

and privilege.


See her wounds? Scars from

a thousand strikes, sly and subtle,

fusillades of snide remarks from

cold-faced offspring

who won’t forgive,

with blame resurgent,

coiled anew,

words aimed to hurt.

Guerrilla warfare -

scores settled by undercover blows.


Priorities in the endless war ?

A camouflage in coats of colours,

for few will see past smiling lures

to hidden hits,

to condemnation -

her always coming last

on their chilly, new ‘To Do’ lists.


© bba 07/06/2011


14 comments:

  1. Such a powerful write, this. So emotive. Phew! What women have to endure worldwide, all down to 'tradition' created by men for the benefit of men. I'll come back to this one, as all men should.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Eamon...it is a emotional one, and factual, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara, a very deep and powerful write. Unfortunately, all so true. It will never stop unless women take back their own power, for real.

    We have a hell of a lot of power in this world, to bring new life in to this world, and yet we don't seem to understand that power. This war will end someday, I think. Women have to come to terms with their masculine side though.

    I like this write-hope everyone on the planet reads it! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Susan... I hope the war will end one day all around the world, but we have a way to go, I think..
    History keeps repeating itself in new and sad ways... XX

    ReplyDelete
  5. A WoW moment after reading and re-reading this. The imagery drawn by your words is striking, and hard hitting at the soul. Placing women as a seperate race, to be looked upon as if from a height of power and judgement. This attitude, as you alluded to, dates back to the bible and mans depiction of Eve, even his later depictions of Mary Magdelene.
    "mere cooks and bottle washers" that fed a nation of males to grow up and cast the same title back at their spouse.
    Barbara, it is a long road ahead for parity - it may never come, but by shining lights on the cracks maybe the path can become a little smoother.
    Great writing, both in context and execution.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bobby, it is a long road indeed, and sometimes distressing and wearying.
    The vulnerability goes on, and stoicism is one recourse...but not always much comfort in such circumstances.
    Parity is much to be desired..We hope for it, and in some cases it is possible, is desired and attained.. But not in this case.
    Thankyou for reading and commenting, Bobby XX..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Still love the 'chilly, new 'To Do' lists' Barbara.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Marion..And yes, the priorities are very clear. Deeply hurtful, passive aggression at work here. XX

    ReplyDelete
  9. I see you've posted here also with a lovely picture added. I commented on W4all on the poem. I managed to edit my blog with a colourful template, and post another poem with a photo added. I was so pleased I succeeded, but have not figured out yet how to link up the blog to facebook. It's probably easy enough.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rachael, thankyou for visiting...Now off to see your new poems, and that new template! I'll put FB info into my comments on your new poem. XX

    ReplyDelete
  11. Barbara,
    You have a family of choice in your life now, I am your sister if you will have me as one and this is a sad, powerful write, the pain our families can inflict upon us is immense, you have captured that pain. Love Maire xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Maire, oh yes, please. I think, I certainly hope our families have no idea how much pain they inflict.
    It can be so dangerous for our state of mind.
    You and I as sisters? Yes indeed, that is a choice I would love to make. We would share such wonderful times, thoughts, ideas, affection, and truth..
    What a blessing that would be to take into the future. XX

    ReplyDelete
  13. Barbara, from today, I am your sister and will be over to visit you next year God willing. Jim is very eager to see Oz too so Springtime next year, not far away at all. Your sister will be coming to see you:) When doors close, others open up and I love to come around the corner of a door or windows from a dark place, into light... there is obviously a reason for that and you do too. We seek light together.
    Much love Maire XXX

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oz in spring is something you both will enjoy, as there are so many different sides to this country of ours..What a great thing, all things being equal that you will both come...and yes, you do wonder if there is a reason , a synchronicity to things that have happened - as with our friendship.It is blooming, Maire, like your wonderful roses.

    ReplyDelete