Thursday, 9 June 2011

Hugo, a dog for all seasons...


He leads me into sunlit mornings.

He wakes me as the dawn breaks through.

Quiet, alert he's there beside me,

patient, loving,

my gentle boy.


He leads me into sunlit mornings.

Eyes black-bright, he sits and waits.

He watches every move I make,

his feet soon restless, animated

as I pull on sweater, shoes and scarf.


He leads me into sunlit mornings.

He pulls along past fresh-faced strangers,

through wind-whipped streets, lanes and alleys,

in scourge of sand and smell of salt from

the bay’s sou-westerly chilly breath.


He leads me into sunlit mornings,

crunching leaves rich bronzed and golden,

through plumed red drops of desert ash,

while plane trees stand forlorn, denuded,

victims of the arborist’s hand.


He leads me into sunlit mornings,

though he’ll stop a while, make me pause

for meditations, fulminations -

collage of parks, trees and joggers,

as the city grumbles, yawns awake.


But our joyous ritual’s sudden halted.

He’s limping, though without complaint.

A second leg, collapsed and failed.

An anterior cruciate ligament torn.

Now the operation I’ve learned to dread.


The vet checks the limb.

I feel his shiver.

His eyes search mine, trusting, sweet,

and I’m aching for my valiant pup,

for my tiny pet, my treasured mate.


On a couch at home, he’s rolling over -

a tummy rub is all he craves.

Tomorrow is his time for surgery.

I brace and wait,

and soon it's done.


So it's my turn to lead in sunlit mornings

when they come around again.


©bba 05/05/2011



3 comments:

  1. And he's getting better and better all the time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great to hear that, Barbara. Hugo's such a gorgeous dog. Isn't it amazing how much a part of our lives they become? You're very lucky to have each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He's a constant joy, Eamon. People who don't have animals find it hard to realize just how important they are in our lives.
    I have always had dogs from childhood till now, but this one has the sweetest temperament of all of them. He is a very precious pup! Yep, lucky! Had to write a poem for him once more. Thankyou for reading. XX

    ReplyDelete