Monday, 6 February 2012

New Beginnings


“The soul should always stand ajar, ready to welcome the ecstatic experience.”
- Emily Dickinson

Could I bring my poetry to Paradise,
or is it just a madcap dream,
a reaction against a cafe culture,
the ironic pose -
a southern signature
of icy veins and cool disdain
blowing in Antarctic winds?

Could I be reborn
in the Sunshine State,
where the yearning sets of crystal waves
lap long white beaches,
carve jagged rocks in astral shapes,
where surfers come to dive, drop in,
stoked on spray, on pure delight,
the roiling joy of golden mornings?

Could I find a poetry of new beginnings
in the frolic of the iron men's steel,
in knife-edged thrills
that tease and tempt
the blurred dark shapes
of a predatory ocean,
as lean young limbs
ignore the peril,
send spirit reeling to apricot skies?

Could I offer the sturdy northern tribe
the power of words, fresh thoughts to gather?
And would they listen, or
just half smile, be kind,
text emoticons that chart contempt
while I chase freedom,
airy ways,
the light and shade of coastal wonders,
remembering only too well
how a southern dawn breaks
hard and grey
in my chilly urban seas?

© bba,  07/02/2012



4 comments:

  1. What an opening line Barbara, it got me thinking straight away, brought me in and I begain reading aloud, really feeling the beauty of the poem and forming answers in my head to the questions along the way. Top drawer quality that you always bring to poetry, very enjoyable.
    Thank you for that, will call in again to read the others my friend.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thankyou Michael, I will be heading up here to this very sport, the Gold Coast, this Thursday for an Easter break, and it is always a wonderful experience for me as it is a very beautiful location. I am aiming to concentrate on all the positive stuff this year, after a very dark 2011...
    There are questions in this poem which I still have not resolved..but it is a work in progress as is all our writing isn't it?
    Glad you could visit, and share... will be looking at your blog too..it 's a great way to 'speak'.
    BARBARA
    XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this poem. :) Really captured my heart and mind...totally absorbed in it. :) Thank you. :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you enjoyed it, Susan....could enter into the spirit of the poem and its journey...Thankyou for reading and commenting...
    XX

    ReplyDelete